Focus: How can we read our book club novels like professors?
1. Warming up with a little Foster...
"The [hero's] quest consists of five things:
(a) a quester
(b) a place to go
(c) a stated reason to go there
(d) challenges and trials en route
(e) a real reason to go there" (3)
As you come to the end of your book club books, trying pairing an early scene with a later scene and see what it reveals about the transformation of characters, symbols, settings, and other motifs.
2. Meeting your book clubs and (possibly) considering the nature of the quest in your novels
3. Wrapping up
1. Assigned book club reading for Wednesday.
2. If you have had your conference with me and would like to revise your critical review essay, now is the time, friends. I would aim to revise before spring break.
3. Poetry responses due Monday, but if you'd like to knock it out before spring break, I will gladly take it on Friday.