Spring Assembly: Shortened Class
1. Warming up by offering you a few quick culminating essay reminders
Staple your question/booklist to the front of your essay.
Include an MLA heading.
Include a header (Your last name Page #) in the upper right corner of each page.
Cite each quotation properly.
Attach a properly formatted Works Cited page that includes all works referenced in your essay.
2. Reading the rest of Act II together
- What imprisons the characters and how so? Do they have freedom?
- Is there logic/reason governing the world of R & G? Where are they seeking it? Do they find it?
- What are R & G's thoughts on death?
- Why the play within a play within a play?
3. Thinking through the play artistically:
- Try illustrating the characters from each "world" in this play (R & G, the Hamlet characters, the tragedians/actors performing the dumbshow) in a way that demonstrates how much control the characters have over their worlds.
- For example, does one world exist inside another? Are they each subject to the same laws?
- If the illustration is throwing you off, try simply forming a scale, or a spectrum, of control, and consider where each character falls.
Culminating essay due Monday.