Focus: How can sound devices help us unlock poetry?
1. Warming up: Describing three different oceans using only your sense of sound
Relaxing ocean waves
Somewhat stormy ocean waves
Violent ocean waves
2. Offering you some of my favorite poetic sound devices
Euphony: Pleasing to the ear, harmonious
Cacophony: Harsh, discordant, unpleasant sounds
The hollow "O"
Alliteration: Repetition of consonant sounds at the beginnings of words (the snake slithered silently)
Assonance: Repetition of vowel sounds (think "Lose Yourself" lyrics by Eminem)
3. Enjoying several poems together using only our ears
What sounds are you noticing?
How do the sounds contribute to/create the larger meanings of the poems?
1. Follow the East of Eden reading assignment for tomorrow (Chapters 41, 42, and 43); reading ticket can be any of the options you've been using.
2. Acquire your independent reading novel if you have not done so yet.
3. There will be a Tuesday writing one week from tomorrow in which you address East of Eden.