1. Warming up with "Riptide"
What's an extended metaphor?
- What object serves as the central symbol? (The title often gives it away.)
- What might it symbolize? (What connotations do you have with this object?)
- What action/verb goes along with this object? (What connotations do you have with this action?)
- Which images contribute to the extended metaphor and how?
- Does the metaphor's meaning shift throughout the poem? How so?
- Try out a thesis that goes something like this: Vance Joy uses the extended metaphor of the riptide in order to....
2. Trying to take off Emily Dickinson's clothes with Billy Collins
3. If time allows, uncovering the slightly less yielding extended metaphor in "They Shut Me up in Prose"
1. College essay due September 19. Hey--isn't that 10 days from now? Yes, yes it is.
2. Follow the reading schedule, which has you reading the awesome 8th and 9th chapters of East of Eden; please refer to the same reading ticket possibilities that you used for today's reading ticket.