1. Offering you a little helpful background on the genealogy behind Henry IV
2. Finishing the Scene 3 performance and discussion
3. Enjoying a quick mini lesson: Foils
A quick quiz on foils...
Harry Potter's foil is....because.... What does Harry's foil reveal about Harry?
Batman's foil is...because... What does Batman's foil reveal about Batman?
On Breaking Bad, Walter's foil is... because... What does Walter's foil reveal about Walter?
On Friends, Monica Geller's foil is... because... What does Monica's foil reveal about Monica?
On Game of Thrones, Lord Renly Baratheon's foil is... because... What does his foil reveal about him?
In The Hunger Games, Peta's foil is... because... What does Peta's foil reveal about Peta?
In Scrubs, JD's foil is... because... What does JD's foil reveal about JD?
In East of Eden, Samuel Hamilton's foil is...because... What does Samuel's foil reveal about Samuel?
In Henry IV, Prince Hal's foil is...because... What does Hal's foil reveal about Hal?
In Henry IV, King Henry IV's foil is... because... What does Henry IV's foil reveal about Henry IV?
4. Performing close readings of three central Act 1 speeches (one from each act) with Moments, Movements, and Multiple Meanings
Round 1: Moments
What images, diction, sound devices, and possible symbols/metaphors grab your attention (aka make you take a moment)?
Round 2: Movement
What larger patterns are you noticing among sound devices and images? Categories?
Is there an extended metaphor lurking in there? What represents what and why?
Any shifts happening? From what to what?
Anything evolving, devolving, or otherwise changing?
Round 3: Multiple meanings
What larger understanding of characters, foils, conflicts, situations, and/or themes does this speech offer?
1. You have less than one week remaining to finish reading your independent reading novel. Remember that you're looking for one concrete motif to follow throughout the novel.
2. If you choose to revise your college essay, you must do so by November 7. Attach your new draft to the original one with my comments; highlight all changes on your new draft and type of brief explanation of what you changed and why.