1. Warming up with a few of your observations from yesterday
2. Viewing and analyzing the rest of Acts 3 and 4 in The Hollow Crown
3. Closely reading a few of Hotspur's speeches in Act 4
Round 1: Moments
- Images (sights, sounds, smells, tastes, touches)
- Diction (especially verbs)
- Metaphorical language (what's being compared to what and why?)
- Sound devices (alliteration, assonance, euphony, cacophony)
- Puns (words with double meanings)
Round 2: Movements
- Shifts (try circling your buts and sectioning the speech)
- Patterns (what categories do the images and diction fall into?)
- Extended metaphors (what's being compared to what and why?)
- How does this speech compare/contrast to other speeches in the play?
Round 3: Multiple Meanings
- Looking at Rounds 1 and 2, what are you learning about characters (and their foils)?
- What's changing and why? What's staying the same?
- What larger statement might this play be making about what it means to be a true king or prince? Or what it means to be valiant? Or what honor is?
1. Continue revising your thesis, working on your outline, and developing your introduction and first body paragraph. Remember that all analyses should stem from quotations that describe your concrete motif.
2. If you plan to purchase Invisible Man, please do so by next Tuesday.
3. College essay revisions due by next Friday, November 7. Please follow my revision policy.