1. Warming up with Billy Collins' interpretation of the sonnet (and Foster's)
2. Exploring "I will put Chaos into fourteen lines" and "An Echo from Willow-Wood"
- What kind of diction is associated with Chaos? With Order?
- What do you notice about grammar in these poems? Why is it important?
A helpful poetic term: ENJAMBMENT (from literarydevices.net)
- What kind of chaos is Rossetti exploring in her sonnet?
- What kind of diction does she use to evoke chaos?
- What poetic devices does she use to bring order to this chaos?
3. Getting tricky: Trying your hand at the Shakespearean sonnet
Using postsecrets to explore the order and chaos in Sonnet 130 and the sonnet on your midterm
4. Talking through the sonnet multiple choice section
1. Please make sure I have a hard copy of your first poetry response.
2. Click HERE for a copy of the Beloved reading schedule; note that we will be reading the beginning together in class.
3. Start reading your critical review book; set yourself a clear and doable schedule to finish reading by the end of January (this will give you the time necessary to compose the essay).