Focus: Who/what is Beloved?
Winter Assembly: Shortened Class
1. Warming up: How is Beloved marked?
What does our friend, Thomas Foster (from How To Read Literature...) have to say about marks?
"...character markings stand as indicators of the damage life inflicts...[characters] bear signs illustrating the way life marks all who pass through it." (195)
Find a couple of good passages illustrated how Beloved is marked. What might these marks signify?
2. Discussing Chapters 5 through 8 of Beloved, Socratic style
3. Wrapping up (note to self: class ends at 9:06)
1. Read your critical review book.
2. Read Chapters 9, 10, 11 and 12 for Monday. As you read, keep a Google doc where you simply type favorite/intriguing/seemingly important words and phrases from these chapters. You'll want at least ten, but the more, the better. You don't need to print it yet; just share it with me.
3. Next poetry response due on Monday.