Please turn in your purple grade sheets (and any missing assignments).
1. Warming up by watching a short interview with Toni Morrison herself!
2. Critiquing a sample essay together
3. Workshopping your essays in small groups: Past events, morally ambiguous characters, happy endings, or scenes of violence
a. Talk through the prompt...what was the heart of the prompt? What did you think the prompt meant?
b. Read through the rubric and identify the primary difference between a 4 and a 5, a 5 and a 6, a 7 and an 8/9, etc.
c. Peruse the sample essays and discuss what you think they might have received based on the rubric.
d. Pass your essay clockwise, and comment on the following:
- Thesis, topic sentences, and overall organization
e. Pass the essays clockwise once again, and comment on the following:
- Examples and close readings/analysis
f. Pass the essays clockwise once again, and comment on the following:
- Style (word choice, sentence fluidity, maturity, etc.)
g. Retrieve your own essay, and based on your editors' feedback and on the rubric, estimate what grade range you think your essay falls in. Give a brief explanation of the grade using language from the rubric.
1. Last chance: Finish your big blog question on Beloved if you have not yet done so.
2. Last chance: If you didn't finish your poetry metacognitive last Thursday, please finish.
3. New poetry responses due Monday.